Re: nitrogol caps

Hi Colin,

On 11 Mar 2002, at 11:59, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>

> hi all
>         anybody know if nitrogol caps are any good for tesla coiling or
> visconol in the case of plesey i have been offered a couple and dont know
> weather to buy them or not at £15 for a 10kv 50nf .05uf
> any help will be much appreciated
> colin heath

Both nitrogol and visconol are harmless oils (i.e. NOT PCBs) but the
caps are probably useless for coiling. I started my serious coiling
days using both and the caps were designed for smoothing a
transmitter power supply. ESR and intrinsic inductance were pretty
high and the internal wires were far too thin to sustain a real
beating at typical tank currents.

Regards,
malcolm