Magnetic Gap Quenching

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I'm following the "Magnequench" thread with interest and am wondering
where it might lead. I have been planning a DC coil - rectified/doubled
MOT pair (a la Greg Hunter) powering a triggered, static gap.

The (theoretical) hurdle to date has been quenching the gap; I don't
want to play around with vacuum cleaners and the like, nor rotary gaps -
I simply don't want any moving parts (apart from those which can also be
a wave ;-)).  Is it possible that I could use a simple static triggered
gap and a bunch of MO magnetron magnets (I currenly have a dozen or so
employed as extra-strong refrigerator magnets;-)) in an appropriate yoke
to look after the quenching?  I guess that with a permanent magnet
(permanent quench) the gap would need to be a little smaller...

I visualise the magnet something like this - using a total of six maggie
magnets as an example; would this be enough?

      XXX  gap   XXX
XXXXXXXX        XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX        XXXXXXXXX
  MAG#1             MAG#4