Re: Longitudinal Wave Experiment

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 08:47 PM 08/03/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

>Hi Ed,

<big snip>

>This isn't the same thing.  Lying an antenna on the ground is different from
>burying an antenna or sinking a ground rod.  When I say "lying an antenna on
>the ground," I mean literally lying the wire right on the surface of the
>earth.  No ground rods, no aerials, nothing is buried.  The wire is flat on
>the ground.
>
>I've put this experiment to a friend of mine.  We're going to get two 20
>foot lengths of 4.5" OD plastic pipe and tape two 40 foot long wires to the
>pipe 4.25" apart.  In the middle of these wires we will use the half wave of
>a nearby 1390KHz radio transmitter that happens to be in the line of site
>from my yard.  The long pipes will lie directly on the ground and we will be
>able to turn them to test for angular alignment with the radio station.
>
>A crystal radio will be placed across the two wires in one test to see if
>there is demodulation.  Then the pipes will be lifted as high as possible to
>see if there is a change in performance.  I'll also measure voltage at the
>ground level and at a higher level.  We will also conduct these measurements
>with the pipes rotated in different angles wrt to the transmitter.

Dave, Coilers,

What you'll be creating with your two wires taped to the plastic pipe will
be nothing more than a balanced transmission line with a ballpark Z in the
range of 600 ohms (discounting the effect of the pipe).  It may work as an
antenna in the "common mode" sense.  Get a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book,
and/or Low Band DXing by John Devoldere and read up on multi-wire Beverage
antennas.  Many have been used successfully simply laying directly on the
ground, or even on ice as one done on a polar expedition some years ago.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca