RE: longitudinal waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Dave P.,

I put together a page this morning that will help you to visualize what is
happening and why longitudinal waves are real.

http://www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com/solenoid_coil_dynamics.htm

There is no doubt at all that longitudinal waves exist on the ground plane.
I would venture further and say that radio waves cannot be detected along
the ground (or at least they will be severely diminished.)  How many HAM
operators do you see trying to receive HF with antennas lying on the ground?

Yet, even though there are no radio waves along the ground, there are
longitudinal waves.  And these waves are much more concentrated in energy
than the voltage wave counterparts being radiated into space and
underground.

>	There is a whole class of nearground and underground antennas,
	for specialized applications in electromagnetic and radio
	work.

Can you give some references?

Dave T.