Re: Helmholtz Coil (Re: anti-static device)

The Helmholtz coil arrangement consists of TWO coaxial parallel,
circular coils.  When they are spaced the proper distance (about 1.5
times the diameter, as I recall) and excited with appropriate currents
between the coils there is a region along the axis where the field
strength is almost independent of distance.  Thus, such coils suitable
oriented with respect to an isotropic magnetic field can be used to
cancel the field over a considerable part of the space between the
coils.

	Don't have the derivation in my head, but it's on file here if anyone
is interested; it's pretty simple.

Ed

Nothing to do with radio static reduction.