Re: Capacitive Ballasting

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Jim,

Since all that is being handled is low frequency mains current,
virtually any suitable high voltage oil filled caps will work. For your
4200 volt transformer, I'd recommend using current limiting/doubling
caps with a voltage rating of at least 8 kV, sized to at least 10-20X
the capacitance of the tank cap, but no larger than 2 uF to prevent
excessive diode current. The diode chain PIV rating should be 4X the
transformer's RMS voltage and 1A minimum.

BTW, this circuit is NOT a true voltage doubler circuit, since it
delivers a half-wave rectified output voltage that's 2X the peak output
of the transformer. A true voltage doubler would provide a more or less
steady DC output voltage. While you could use a classic voltage
multiplier circuit, you'd then need to combine it with a different DC
charging technique to prevent short-circuiting the DC supply's output
capacitor when the main gap fires. Various options include:

1. Resistive charging (see Ritchie Burnett and Kevin Ottalini's sites):
http://WWW.RICHIEBURNETT.CO.UK/dcresist.html#resistive
http://www.mindspring-dot-com/~ottalini/DC%20Driven%20Tesla%20Coil.htm

2. Resonant charging (see Richie Burnett's site):
http://WWW.RICHIEBURNETT.CO.UK/dcreschg.html#resonant

3. A specially designed SPDT or even a DPDT H-bridge switching rotary
spark gap. These gaps will alternately charge the tank cap, disconnect
it from the charging source, and then fire the primary gap. See Steve
Young's and Larry Robertson's recent postings in the "DC Power" thread
and an earlier "Solving the DC coil mystery" thread from July of 2001.

Good luck, Jim!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman