your cap charged. A good reason to stay away
from big charging inductors, at least for this application.

I am using a 42 mH air core inductor wound with
#22 wire, 12.5 inches in diameter and 12 inches long.
It limits charge current to 40 amps at 20kV. A diodes
peak repetitive pulse current is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the
non-repetitive peak usually listed in the spec sheet,
so the charging diode should be somewhat robust. I'm
using an 8 Amp RMS, 400 A. peak,  48 kV diode with
no failure yet.

Works quite well, too - the cap is charged to almost
2 X the supply voltage. At the moment I'm fighting
with flashovers at the gap at higher power.

Cheers
Larry Robertson