Re: SRSG Phase Relationship

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Dave,
         A#1 most-important-rule-you'll-ever-find - Set the safety gap, and
*leave it!*.  This will help protect against resonant rise.  I phase my
SRSG's using the old fashioned "tape and flourescent" method. I adjust the
SRSG so the middle of the white "band" is lined up with the electrodes and
bump the power (after tuning the coil with a static gap and adding a
breakout).  If the firing is not smooth or the safety fires, I retard the
SRSG a bit.  I used to use a nifty little IR LED and a comparator with a
green LED on the disc before mounting the electrodes in it.  The IR LED was
fed DC, and the comparator fed pulsed AC (1 diode and a Zeener so I got
grabbed the very top of the AC mains).  This worked for initial phasing,
but was otherwise pretty useless ;)  Comparator just checked if both
outputs were high and flipped on the green LED when they were.  I'd suggest
the flourescent method, as once you get the SRSG working, you can tweak it
from there.  The safety gap should only fire every once in awhile.  A
thought, you may want to put the safety gap across the main gap (as I do),
so when it does fire you're still discharging the cap through the primay
and limiting the surge current, and it'll have less effect on the "smooth
running" of the coil that way (IE, streamers won't stop for a beat while
the spark gap fires).
Hope it helps!
Shad