Re: Ballast and DC?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "PotLuck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

>Hi List,
>I'm building a ballast and a while ago I heard a whisper about using DC
current
>in a separate winding to vary the inductance? I could incorparate such a
>winding instead of adjusting the air gap if there's merit here.
>
>And how much DC power ( VA ) would be needed to work with a ballast like the
>one shown at the link?
>
><http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/inductr.html>http://www.richieburnett.co.uk
>/inductr.html
>
>Thx all!

What you are thinking of is what they call a SCR   nooo  not a Silicon
Controlled recitier...   a Saturable Core Reactor.

It is basically ( hahahaha   basically now thats an understatement)  a
transformer that is on the verge of saturation and by the use of a dc
coil on the center leg one can saturate or desaturate the middle core
leg more or less and control the amount of flux produced by the AC coils
on the 2 outer legs. ( yup you will need an old 3 phase core to do this
properly ...  )

I wound one up and almost got it working but the amount of power to
saturate the center leg was about equal to using a variac on the main
voltage to control input to the coil ....   All mine ended up being was
a more complicated control unit compared to just the variac system.

Scot D