Re: Slightly off topic- Van DeGraff Generator / other E&M experiments

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Slightly off topic- Van DeGraff Generator / other E&M  experiments
>Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:37:34 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Matt Woody Meyer by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meyerml-at-stolaf.edu>
>
>I know at some point last week there was a discussion on the drag forces
>created
>on a Van De Graff belt-motor.  I'm curious, for those who've built them...
>for a
>medium size generator (let's say 5-6 feet tall) what power motor and what
>rpm
>settings would work well.

Hi, ive built a smaller 3 foot model with a 3" wide belt.  With a 14" salad
bowl sphere i could get a good 24" spark sometimes.  For a 5-6footer, i
would say a >8" wide belt with a >24" or so diameter sphere, and at least
1/15 HP to drive it(1/10 would be good).   Herbach & Rademan has a 1/10HP
1625rpm GE motor for like 10 bucks(US), i know because i have one.  I would
think that would be fine, but a higher rpm might be better for higher
current output.  Good luck, hope that i helped a little.

Steve Ward.

_