Re: Slightly off topic- Van DeGraff Generator / other E&M experiments

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matt Woody Meyer by way of Terry Fritz

<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meyerml-at-stolaf.edu>

> I know at some point last week there was a discussion

> on the drag forces created on a Van De Graff belt-motor.

> I'm curious, for those who've built them...

	I've not, but studied plans...

> for a medium size generator (let's say 5-6 feet tall)

> what power motor

	Based on what i've seen:
		Sewing Machine motor is a bit small.
		1/4 hp motor is overkill.

> and what rpm settings would work well.

	The issues ios trading off belt speed vs
	staying on the pulleys, vs pulley size
	(fit in base and top terminal...).

> I am the presidient for St. Olaf's Society of Physics

> Students, and for our project next year, we are

> considering putting together a massive electric
> show to present to local schools (all ages, from

> Kindergarten to High School).  I figure that most of

> the demonstrations should be done with a VDG (sparks,

> lighting neon bulbs, showing electrostatic "pull" on a

> nearby uncharged sphere), etc.

	ion motor.
	'satellite' floating round the belt column.
	( bit of flat metal, with, iir a half twist.
	Light enought to 'float' under the toroid,
	the 1/4 twist causes it to 'orbit'.)

	3' is a deal more portable than 6, but its not
	my project.

> I have a handfull of demo ideas already, including a tesla

> coil, of course!
> But any suggestions for other very impressive demonstrations

> would be greatly appreciated.  Please feel free to e-mail me

> directly (meyerml-at-stolaf.edu) with any wonderful ideas you

> may have.  Our current list is this:
>
> -large Jacob's Ladder
> -VDG experiments (including hair-raising with a smaller one)
> -Hand-crank power generator (presentor screws in bulbs/resistors

> as the person cranks until "blackout" occurs)
> -melting a wire by too much current
> -discharging large capacitor through wire (much more impressive than
> melting wire)
> -coin crushing / can crushing
> -tesla coil (grand finale, of course). :)

	Demo lightning rod:
	set small paper houe afire with spark
	(Tesla or van de Graaf), then similar house, with
	paper clip lighting rod survives.  (needs
	practice, can be made to work...)
best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...