Re: power transformers

Tesla list wrote:

> > > No problem.  I have a unique vacuum tube tesla coil here. A 3ft high 2ft
> > > diam form with copper tubing.  It resonates at 1.8Mhz, and is driven
> > > with 3kW from an Eimac 8877 tube (It my ham linear amp).  Puts out a
> > > nice big purple flame.  Unfortunately, the 8877 is a very expensive
> > > investment and requires forced air cooling as it has an external metal
> > > anode with radiator fins.  My power supply is 3500V at 5kVA max (weighs
> > > 200 lbs).

	Does that mean you're running 5 kw input to the final when it is
driving the coil?

> >         Are you driving the coil from the regular antenna output of your
> > linear?  Would be interesting to see more design details.  How much
> > power do you run on ham bands?  Are you one of the 80 meter "long
> > pathers"?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > W6IZJ
>
> Yes, I tap the coil up one or two turns for min SWR.  Actually, I don't
> work HF any more at all.  6M only these days.  I got bored with HF and
> 160M DXing.  (I had 250 countries on CW by the time I was 18yrs old, so
> being 40 now, its lost the thrill)  Worked Japan on 6M CW last fall.
> That was a thrill! 73.
>
> Rob N3FT

	QSL.  I suspect that you and I aren't the only ones with reasonable
sized linears, so perhaps others will give it a try.  Unfortunately my
L-4B only goes down to the bottom of 80, but guess a coil there might be
interesting to try.

	As for DX, Japan on 6 is a much tougher proposition back where you are
than from here in SoCal; congratulations.  We seem to have a pretty good
over-water path in that direction, as we do to Australia/New Zealand.
In the winter it's not uncommon to work JA's on 160 meters (at least the
big boys do - I can copy them but never bothered to call).

Ed