RE: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Hi Terry,

On 17 Jun 2002, at 19:40, Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> The input voltage is 120VAC and the variac is set for 120VAC too.  The load
> is 220k Ohms in series with 2.5pF.  The coil is a 9/30 LTR coil with a sync
> rotary gap.  Other detail are at:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/SmallCoil.htm
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry

As I write this I am *trying* to get through to hot-streamer. No
doubt others are too ;)  If I'm reading the loading conditions
correctly, prolonged energy trades will ensue which certainly does
cause the gap to lose a lot of power. In general and for sparking
conditions, that load would be representative just some of the time
unless air streamers are all that's being allowed to happen (and then
only of a certain length). Again, the domain of validity is limited.
I think in discussing this we should specify loading conditions when
positing figures as evidence. For example, the light bulb test
figures are fine *as far as they go*. They just don't apply to any of
my coils when run to produce sparks and sparks are all I'm interested
in. If you loaded the coil up with a steady-state load so that
coupling became critical, the gap would theoretically lose 50% of the
energy that actually made it to the primary cap.

Regards,
malcolm