Re: Is toroid a Faraday cage?

Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Antonio, Dave, All,

There is a large and easily observable increase in the drag on the belt of a
Van De Graaff generator as the terminal voltage increases.  A large ~1MV
generator I had the privilege of operating a while back showed a ~200%
increase in drive motor current draw from start-up to full charge.  On badly
designed or 'overdriven' generators one sometimes sees sparks between the
belt and the sphere at the point where the belt enters the sphere,
testifying to the high electric field gradient in that area.

Jolyon,

Your concept of 'infinite electrical suction' seems to be something of a
misconception.  There can be no _electric field gradient_ inside of a hollow
conductor, that is a very different thing from there being no charge.

-Dave-

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com