Re: MMC warming

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I would work on getting the 2 x 10 array working.  Your present 1 x 8 may
>last a while but it is under a lot of stress.
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

Thanks for all the help everyone,

I suppose that i will try to get things working a bit better with the 2x10
cap.  Here is what i mean by poor performance, so maybe you all can help me
with this.  With both of the coils, i only tune in at 3.5 turns!!  This is
the best output so far with this 2x10 cap.  When tuned at this, the coil
does not sound as smoothe as with the 1x8 cap.  There are a lot more little,
weak arcs, rather than the nice 2 or 3 arcs the 1x8 cap gives.  These weak
sparks dont get any better when i put on more gaps, and the coils dont
attract to each other, rather, the will arc to the primary coils alot. Also,
I am not sure exactly what my transformer is putting out, i know what it is
drawing, but my core is slightly damaged(laminations have some small
seperations) and their is a small gap where the center of the core connects.
  That is why it is drawing some 9Amps.  Unfortunately, my ammeter is a
clamp type, and does not read below a 3A range so i cant read the secondary
amps.  So this make my output somewhat unknown to me.  I am considering
removing more shunts, but am not sure that it would be too safe.  The
primary gets warmer than the caps do, and the secondaries get a very slight
warm feeling to them(they are not heavily insulated, so i can actually tell
how warm they are).  Im sure if i removed some more shunts, the coil would
work fine, but then i may have trouble with the transformer.  Back to
tuning,  should i try larger toroids, or is my cap just way to big.  I have
experienced this same thing with my previous coil, until i removed more
shunts, then it worked ok.  I guess ill try that.  So what temp. would you
all consider to be "OK" for my secondaries to heat to?  All thoughts are
welcome.

Steve Ward.