RE: Variable Ballast

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Greg

The drawback of the helix choke is that it requires a great number of turns.
Putting this aside, a sliding choke can ballast a pole pig. The magnetic
field will pull the core into the coil. One must wind enough turns on a
hollow form such that very little current gets to the pole pig with the core
fully inserted, but enough current gets to the pig with the core withdrawn.
The core is pulled out to increase the current flow. The self-induction of
the coil decreases as the core is pulled out. Such a unit could easy exceed
100 pounds in weight. I have most of the raw materials to build a sliding
choke, but I need to find some literature on the method for calculating the
number of turns. I'm using x-ray transformer laminations for the core.

Godfrey Loudner