Re: SSTC not working as expected

Original poster: "John Tomacic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla_ownz_u-at-hotmail-dot-com>

With a single MOSFET in flyback configuration, one would not expect to get
more than a few inches discharge to a grounded object. To get to this level,
the tuning is very critical and requires a "fine tuning" control. Also, you
will need a breakout point on your sphere as there is not enough power
delivered for streamers to break out on their own. The bottom of the
secondary has to be connected to a very low impedance ground, this is more
critical in SST work than conventional coils.

The fine tuning can be accomplished by placing a 20 turn 500 ohm or 1K ohm
pot in series with the  "normal" frequency control pot. The "normal"
frequency control pot is usually much larger in resistance, 100K ohm or more
depending on the circuit used, it should also be a 10 or 20 turn control.
Initially set the fine tune pot to it's mid position, then use the normal
control to get close to resonance.  The waveform at the MOSFET drain at
resonance will look as in the pic attached, with large voltage spikes. These
spikes should not exceed the rating of your MOSFET or it will fry. Once you
are close to resonance you can use the fine tune pot to tweak for best
output.  Note that if you are using a filtered DC 160V supply, and are not
using an interrupt circuit (ie you are in CW mode) the discharge will be a
plasma flame, not a streamer or arc.
Your gate drive voltage should be at least +10V (positive peak), if it is
only 8 v peak to peak (ie, positive peak +4v and negative peak -4v), then
your MOSFET is not being turned on fully.

There is nothing easy about making a SST coil work, you need good test
equipment, know what you are doing, and be patient and persistent to
overcome lots of pitfalls along the way.  My SST coil is a MOSFET full
bridge driving a ferrite transformer bottom connected to the secondary in a
magnifier configuration. I get 24 inch arcs, at peak input power just over
9KW, in interrupt mode.  See my website for pictures and description of coil
controller:

http://www.angelfire-dot-com/electronic/teslacoil/

Hope this helps, good luck.

John Tomacic