RE: 12" coil first light (7 foot arcs!), live case and cabinet

Original poster: "Basura, Brian by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>

Scot D,

Most likely it's you that is getting a charge (pun intended) then
discharging it to your controller, garage door rail, etc. and not the other
way around.

Regards,
Brian B.

<giant snip>

Hi Greg...

I also am running a 12 " secondary and even tho I have a HUGE set of RFI
filters in my system ( 2 60 amp filters, one for each leg of the 240
input), I still get "feedback " to my control cabinet in the form of
"consistant " static electricity. Lets say its a feeling of hi voltage
spiking with low amperage ( current). I notice this effect more so when
the coil is running without a direct strike to a grounded rod. When I
use a grounded rod ( 8' pipe within 10' of the coil) the "feedback" from
the coil is minimal ( cant tell if there is actually any voltage
"eminating" from the case to me) but when the coil is running without
the "grounded pipe" to strike to, I refrain from touching the case of
the power supply.

I have also noticed this same situation with my smaller coil ...   the
case of the controller is not touch friendly even though the case is
grounded to the supply ground.....

Maybe some of the Guru's of T coiling have an answer.....

are we being subjected to some RF form of voltages that find the case
resonately compatible ???

another situation that I have noticed is that the roller track of the
garage door on my shop is "VERY" suceptible to the "buildup" of charges
compared to other metallic items in the shop area.

I have seen on several occasions, small streamers ( sparks) jump to (
from?????) the ground rod ( which is only 1" from the track of the shop
door ( this is one of the ground rods I use for the RF ground for my
coil). I have also noted that if I come into contact with the roller
trac while the coil is running ( distance is at least a minimum of 15'
from the coil) I get a rather NASTY shock from the track. ( Now mind
you, the track is "fully" insulated via wood beams but 1" from the
ground rod ).

hmmmmmmmmm    thinking again...

Scot D