Re: I Need some Help.

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

03/06/2002 15:05:33, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TeraJoule-at-aol-dot-com>

>~Hello
>       I have been working on my first
coil for a few weeks now.  I finished it
>and turned it on.  There was no discharge
off of the Sphere on the secondary.
>However there is a little arc (and I mean
little) when I place a piece of metal
>next to it (something like a screw
driver).  I've been wracking my brain to
try
>and fix this problem and I was wondering
if one of you fine gentlemen would
>help me.  I think it is something with
the frequency of my circuits. I believe
>they are mismatched...
>
>The Dimensions of my coil are as follows:
>Secondary uses 30 gauge copper wire that
is wrapped around a PVC pipe 7/8 in.
>diameter and 8.25 inches tall. (about 700
turns) the sphere on top is .75
>inches in diameter.
>
>The transformer is 9000 V NST and 30 mA.
It's rated at 120 V.

>The capacitor has 17 sheets of 5.5 in. x
6 in. separated by .1 in. window pain
>glass.  (I don't know the dielectric
value.)  If it makes any difference, only
>4 inches of the foil overlaps for each of
the plates ( a 6 inch x 4 inch plate)

>The spark gap is non-rotary and can be
adjusted to any distance it needs to be
>at.
>
>The primary is helical and is basically 5
turns of wire.  3.5 in. in diameter,
>spaced 1 inch from eachother.  (I would
be most willing to change this or the
>capacitor.)
>
>I would be forever grateful if someone
could help me work out the flaws in this
>design.  Thank you very much for all of
your time.

>Sincerely,
>Alex

The best way to set the gap is to make it
so the transformer you are using just
jumps the gap if you connect it across the
spark gap - this helps ensure you dont
overvolt your transfromer and will prolong
its life.

I really recommend against testing your
coil by holding a piece of metal next to
it - you could potentially get an unleasnt
or even fatal shock under the wrong
circumstances.

the secondary needs to be grounded at the
base to a good RF ground such as a pipe
griven into the ground (normal house
ground is NOT suitable - you will destroy
any sensitive equipment connected to it)

it sounds to me like your coil is out of
tune - my calculations suggest a
capcitance of 0.0064 uF which is a little
under resonant with your transformer and
should tune around 3.3 turns on the
primary rather than 5 but trial and error
is easiest here - start around 3 turns and
hunt for best spark length. Really this is
rather few turns and using a bigger
topload would be very beneficial,
increasing to a 2" by 6" toroid would drop
the operating frequency from a rather high
1.7Mhz to a slightly more reasonable
1.1Mhz and increase the tap point to about
4.5 turns - when doing this it is best to
put a sharp point like a thumbtack on the
top of the coil to ensure breakout.

You should get at least a 4" spark from
this thing.

Some air blowing over the spark gap should
also help
Alexander JJ Rice
Geek#-1232
Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth
!"?