Re: Engineering and Tesla MATH

I don't know about that... Balanis is pretty detailed and rigorous.. for
instance it's being used as the textbook for my next door office-mate's
graduate level electromagnetics and fields class at USC. It sort of assumes
that you're already calculus knowledgeable.

I'd start with the Feynman lectures.  They're available in softcover at
Barnes and Noble stores.  Nice chunks of basic Electricity and Magnetism
stuff.

And of course, there will be some text book used for first/second year
physics at the school, and given that most first year students are learning
calculus at the same time as they are doing the first year physics, the
level of exposition and use of calculus tends to track.

Some introductory texts on antennas (e.g Kraus) might also be useful, as
would some of the electrical machines texts (I like Wildi, "Electrical
Machines, Drives and Power Systems").  Sometimes, it helps to have a basic
conceptual understanding of what is going on before you start worrying about
the details of proving why it is so.  Wildi is nice in that it provides
multiple explanations of things like transformers, etc., at varying levels,
so you can relate the theoretical exposition to a simpler conceptual model

Kraus has more rigor, but is still accessible to those who haven't spent the
last 10 years of their life integrating Green's function.  I don't know that
Kraus is really the right book for tesla coiling, since it, naturally, puts
lots of emphasis on radiated fields.

Balanis is far more rigorous