Re: Machining SRSG disk ?

Original poster: "Bryan Steinbach by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hal-9000-at-telocity-dot-com>

I have access to a mill that can do .0002" precision bolt circles.  However,
its tool for cutting radii is nearly worthless.  Would cutting the disc out
with a bolt circle work?  The disc would look like a circular saw and perform
roughly the same to one's face, but it would be balanced.  Also-is lexan, say
.25", an acceptable disc material?  The coil's powersupply is 450VA.

Bryan Steinbach

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 05:37 pm, Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

> I use a 7 in. dia. disk with 4 electrodes.  Each electrode is a 1/8th in.
> TIG welding rod cut 1.25 in. long and then pressed through an axial
> precision reamed (not drilled) hole.  Disk material is 0.250 in. thick type
> LE phenolic.  Electrodes are 1/2 in. inward from the disk edge.  Have a
> machine shop do this work for you to insure .001 precision.  You really need
> a mill with a turntable to do a good job.
>
> Adding rings around the circumference and then soldering the tungsten to it
> only creates problems.
<snip>

> Regards,
>
> Dr. Resonance