Re: TC resonance estimation?

Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 23:14, Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> E-Tesla6 has a file in the ZIP called E-Tesla611.C which is the original
> pretty plain C-code program that "should" directly port and compile to any
> C compiler (it's like open source, steal as you please, free ware ;-)).
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip
>
> I think it will "go" on GCC and I thought I "really actually" did it
> once...  I am no C UNIX programming genius, but let me know if you need
> help and I'll try to figure it out.  I have a SUN Solaris computer so I am
> not "supposed" to be totally clueless when it comes to UNIX :-))

I downloaded it and compiled it with a quick gcc E-Tesla611.c -o tesla
-lm and it compled fine, then I ran the output and it seems to run fine,
so I think its workable out of the box.  If you could give me an output
of the program on windows with the included input.txt I could compare
and make sure it really worked.

> Let me know if you can't get it to go for you and we'll figure something
> out.  I don't think any of the Java website's have it as a web-browser
> thing?  I could easily post up a UNIX version too if I had one.  Nice to
> know there are a few pure UNIX folks out there ;-))

It seems to work ;).  As I said above if I had an output file from it
working on windows I could be sure.

I develop software under linux for linux systems (or I did untill I got
layed off...), so thats the reason why I am almost 100% linux kinda guy.

> MandK is a pure Windoze thing but your friends can run it for you ;-)

I could run it, assuming it will run in w2k.  I could fire up VMWare on
one of my other linux boxes and run it there in a w2k session.  But now
I am a bit lazy ;)

> I think all the others are on Java web pages now.
>
> Paul has a bunch of super nice high-level programs in UNIX too at:
>
> http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/
>
> which are very sophisticated and can do far more.

I have just now started looking at this page.  It looks cool so far.  I
have noticed that most of these programs are for modeling a normal or
traditional coil.  Is there any software or even a web page that
describes what I would need to know to apply all this to a direct drive
coil?  I plan on just driving a single tesla solinoid type coil with a
custom flyback type xfmer I have here.  Hopefully it can handle the
current...  Do you know of any web sites that I could look at that
describe this kind of arrangement?  Has anyone on this list done this?

Oh, and what is a good web page that explains what all the input
parameters the Tesla6 program needs are for?  I am a definate newbie in
this area, so I need all the help I can get ;).

> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry
> 	terrellf-at-qwest-dot-net

Thanks for the help,