Re: Trapped Water Ground

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/17/02 8:23:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> .  This system circulates hot water
> throughout the apartments in the building through a metal pipe.  I am
> wondering if I can simply ground to this metal pipe.
>
> Does this sound like a suitable ground?
>
> Is this a safe ground for others in the building?
>
> Is there any way to measure the quality of this ground with a multimeter?
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Steve.

HI Steve,
       If this hot water system has an insulated flange anywhere in it, or
there is an insulated flange between the cold water supply to the heater, the
your coil will make it into a large antenna, possibly at lethal voltages.
Anyone touching the heating system anywhere in the building could get zapped.
Matt D.