Re: tesla coil on the truck

No reason why it couldn't be done.  I've run all manner of strange things
(TCs included) off a generator on the back of a flatbed truck.  Actually,
depending on the size of the TC, and how you set up the grounding, even the
engine electronics might not be affected (after all, it's not that
different than having immunity to other forms of EMI/EMC).

There are well documented reports of problems with auto electronics in
connection with VHF/UHF two way radios, but, there you've got something
deliberately (and reasonably efficiently) radiating signficant RF power,
and, more to the point, with wiring inside the auto body.

Since it's a portable rig you're contemplating, why not try testing it in a
brand new (under warranty) truck (maybe a rental?)  The ill effects, if
any, should be confined to "engine quitting or missing" kinds of problems,
that are transient and go away.  The engine control units, etc., should/do
have transient protection on all the external connections (after all, it's
running in an incredibly hostile electrical environment anyway: ignition,
huge (multi hundred volt) DC transients on power lines, etc.).

<biomed-at-miseri.winnipeg.mb.ca>