Re: Toroid Construction - Need something good . . .

Hi Dan,

On 16 Jul 2002, at 11:11, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

> 	I purchased a commercial toroids, but would also like to build some
> extra toroids to try out.
>
> 	I've looked at lots of links to how to build a toroid, but most of
> what i've seen seems half-assed.  I think i'm missing the good sites on
> toroid construction.
>
> 	Could someone help me find a good site or method for constructing a
> top notch toroid???
>
> 	Thanks again.
>
> 	Dan

I guess it depends on your definition of "top notch". All my top
terminals are built by contact-gluing blocks of styrofoam (free - you
can get it from equipment packing) together to make a single large
block, then roughly cutting to shape with a serated breadknife, then
sanding to give a final smoothish surface over which to contact-glue
pieces of Al cooking foil. Final smoothing with the foil on is
achieved by rolling around on a flat clean floor.

Advantages: cheap, lightweight, no restriction on size

Disadvantages: rather delicate with regard to bumping and bashing,
can blow off in the wind if not fixed on top of the coil.

I don't bother making a centre hole. It doesn't make any substantial
difference to the final (electrical) result and gives a nice flat
bottom on which to rest atop the secondary.

Regards,
malcolm