Re: Natural streamer :)

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>	When I run my "big" [18" sparks, but only 35 microamps short-circuit
>current] VDG everything within several feet stars to show visible
>discharge.  If they sharp points are close there isn't much voltage
>rise.  If I approach it with my hand I'm liable to get zapped, but if I
>hold a pin in my hand [pointed toward the terminal, of course] and
>approach nothing much happens.  Same phenomenon.
>
>	"St. Elmo's fire" is another manifestation of the same sort of thing.
>
>Ed

Wait a sec!!  Your VDG can give 35uA but can only give an 18" spark??  I
tested my VDG to have only about 7uA and can give about 22-24" sparks.  My
sphere is a 14" oblate made from salad bowls with about 4 rolls of
electrical tape around the rim.  Works fairly well with only a 3" wide belt.
  I wonder why your machine has so much power but no big sparks (well big
but not huge).

Steve Ward.

http://photos.msn-dot-com/support/worldwide.aspx