Re: Toroid Dimensions?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hey Dan,

The taller toroid would give the longest sparks.  I feel that it somewhat
depends on the length of the secondary because of voltage breakdown across
the secondary(ive been experiencing this alot lately).  If you have at least
an 18" or taller secondary i think that the 5" would be better, since it
would be more likely to throw out 1 or 2 streamers at most, and put a lot of
power into them.  Ive had toroids with larger overall diameters that just
dont work as well.  If you have a decent number of turns on the secondary,
id go with the fatter(taller) toroid since you would still get a low
frequency even if its less capacitance than a wider toroid.  Good luck, and
i hope i made sence to everyone.

Steve Ward.