Re: good doorknobs for VTTC?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: good doorknobs for VTTC?
>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:23:50 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
>
>Steve and all,
>
>The particular capacitor on eBay you're looking at is called a ceramic
>RF power capacitor. These are used to handle a significant amount of
>reactive power (as on a tank circuit or RF coupling capacitor). It is
>NOT a PFC cap, even though it carries a KVAR rating. The 60 KVAR rating
>refers to the amount of reactive power that this capacitor can safely
>handle without overheating. This capacitor would be an excellent choice
>for your VTTC, and could be re-used in a much higher power VTTC later
>on.
>
>I'm also attaching a few URL's which cover technical descriptions and
>application of ceramic RF power capacitors. The first URL points to a
>paper written by a very knowledgeable ham radio amateur, and is one of
>the best I've seen on practical application of ceramic RF power
>capacitors. The second and third URL's are from Morgan Electro Ceramics,
>a UK based manufacturer of ceramic capacitors and Vishay Draloric.
>Draloric is a manufacturer of ceramic induction heating capacitors. Some
>of these caps are water-cooled and appear on eBay at reasonable cost.
>
>http://www.qsl-dot-net/i0jx/capacit.html
>http://www.morganelectroceramics-dot-com/capguide3.html
>http://www.vishay-dot-com/document/22071/22071.pdf
>
>Good luck on your VTTC!
>
>-- Bert --
>--
>Bert Hickman
>Stoneridge Engineering
>"Electromagically" Shrunken Coins!
>http://www.teslamania-dot-com

Thank you Bert!!

Finally someone knows what these things are!  I think ill pick up about 4 of
them in that case and hopefully my coil will run fine with them.  I dont
have the money yet but will soon.  So if i get these i will report what
happens.

Steve Ward.