Re: making dc from tesla coil

Colin: I use point cup rectifiers. Some times I use 4-6 in series to handle
the voltage. The cup size determins your current draw. What ever current you
draw it will be low in the uAmp range. Use a sharp point for low current. A
rounded point will give more current, but more AC rippel. The quality of DC
is dependent on the ratio of size of your point to cup. If your ratio is
10:1 and your voltage is 100Kv dont expect to have over a 10 to 1 DC to AC
ripple differance There are a lot of variables so dont make my example a
rule. If you put it in a vacuum bottle with a inert gas you can get better
current and more cost. I have even used old ( burned out) ligtht bulbs with
Al foil ring glued around the bulb width to form low cuttent rectifiers. Yes
this is a modified capacitor not a true rectifier, but it works. A fine wire
(stainless steel or tungsten) streched in the center of a copper pipe also
works. If you pull a vacuun inside better. A trace of carbon tetrachloried,
Tricloroethylene, Duster gas,or other halide hydrocarbon will make the
quench time shorter.  Keep in mind these are toxic.
  Robert  H