Re: Strike Rail question

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Strike Rail question
>Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:10:56 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>In a message dated 7/11/02 10:07:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
>

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > I always thought that if it was an entire ring, it would be like another
> > winding feeding off of the primary, and since being shorted would draw
>lots
> > of power.  But this isn't what I'm writing to tell you, and that's
>probably
> > not
> > really why.  I feel that strike rings are pointless.  I'm sure some will
> > disagree, but all of my coils arc the primary constantly with no damage
>what
> > so ever.  And to further prove my point, my friends large 1.5kw coil can
> > throw a thick 4 footer down into the primary with no harm done.  I think
> > that the strike ring draws the arcs in since its an inch or so higher,
>but
> > maybe an inch or so isn't really a big deal.  I just wanted you to know
>that
> > it really isn't necessary, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I
> > don't
> > want to mislead anyone.  Good luck with your coil Dan.
> >
> > Steve Ward
> >

>Steve,
>        Your argument is like "Yes, I have ridden a motorcycle without
>wearing a
>helmet and I'm not crippled - yet. Therefore helmets are totally
>unnecessary
>and have no safety value." The same reasoning applies to unprotected
>interpersonal relationships. :-((
>It only takes once.
>Matt D.

Im assuming that you are referring to the safety to the user??
I understand now, what the safety issue can be, but for one, no one should
ever be close enough to touch the arc of a coil that is even capable of
arcing to the primary, i think we all know that any coil with any good
amount of power is not safe to touch the output.  But im not trying,
necessarily, to argue that im correct (im probably not) but just saying WHY
i thought that its ok to not have an strike ring ("safety issue" wise, at
the time i was talking about possible damage to the coil).  I also realise
some of the unknown dangers, like this scenario:  Say im running the large
coil, and im leaning against the aluminum siding on the house.  The coil
gets a burst of energy and arcs the primary and the side of the house at the
same time.  Id say im in quite a bit of danger!!

This is why i told everyone to correct if im wrong, and it appears that i
am.  And i suppose that your "motorcycle" comparison does make sense.  Maybe
not having a stike ring is like not wearing a helmet, but still remeber,
helmets do not make motocycles fool proof, nor do stike rings eliminate all
risks involved with not having one.  I guess that i was unfurtunate in the
way that i never seen the need for a stike ring, and i dont necessarily
think of everything that is possible with someone elses coil(although i try
to be highly aware of that).  I should also note that i got a strong
response on the list about this subject about strike rings on the list a few
months ago, most said they are not needed, and proved not to do much.

Steve Ward,
PS, this was mostly an attempt to save my rear(lol), but really i want to
understand more about what strike rings are REALLY good for. And Matt, this
is not directed to you in any way, sorry if it sounds like it is.