Re: MMC for 4 pack MOT supply

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

While I personally don't have a Tesla Coil built, a friend of mine has built
an 8" PVC tesla coil magnifier system with 150 turns of 14 AWG wire the
extra coil is wound with 2200 turns of 27 AWG on a 4" PVC form. The
Capacitor that I am using is a homebuilt evacuated oil filled polypropylene
bucket capacitor which measures 162 nF and is good to
50 kVDC!

The MOT bank supplies 9.6 kV -at- 625 mA at maximum draw, which boils down to
6000 VA worth of input power to the capacitor/ Tesla curcuit. In order to
get the spark length I needed I had to get the break rate up VERY VERY high.
So I used an RSG first at 3600 rpm..I only got 7ft or so worth of
streamers...the capacitor wasn't storing properly. Then I moved up to a
10,000 RPM angle grinder RSG....I started getting 9-10 ft arcs right away!
When I adjusted the spark gap and tuned the primary coil I got a maximum arc
length of 12 ft...I was also using a 120 VAC to 140 VAC variac at the time
(11,200 VAC -at- 535 mA or so input).

...in short, make sure your MOT's draw 1400 watts-1500 watts each, get a
10000 RPM RSG, and make/buy a BIG capacitor! You'll enjoy the results!