Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test: Tungsten Rod

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tb3-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Scott,

Could you help improve our designs by telling us where
to get that 1/4" Tungsten?  Is it a pure alloy?

McMaster-Carr has welding electrodes up to 5/32" thick
and 7" long. They also have High-Density Tungsten Alloy
Rods of many lengths and thicknesses.  But the Melting
point is 2012° F, way below the pure Tungsten Melting
point of 6192° F.

That stuff was fine for my smaller coils, but I am
nearing 10 KVA and am burning up rods fast.

I must have this 1/4" Tungsten Rod.

Terry Blake
<Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com>

> Dave,
>
> Keep in mind that larger coils are more efficient by design.  The reason
I say