Re: New Suction Gap

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-madlabs.info>

Dan,

You may have to adjust the gap setting, but I don't remember any major
retuning when I changed to a vac gap. What coil setup are you running the
gap with? I found a sucker gap didn't improve a low powered (Ignition coil
or OBIT powered) coil. Also, I found that full vac power reduced spark
length on NSTs ranging from 15kV/60mA to 120mA. I used a variac to find the
best performance. How are the electrodes arranged, does it get good airflow
across the gap?

You can see my sucker gap at:

http://madlabs.info/index.php?x=spark_gaps.jsp

Regards,

Jonathan

> Hello,
> I just made a vacuum suction gap with two brass electrodes, and fired it
up,
> and noticed no improvement in spark length from my single static gap.
Does