TI UC2710 vs. Microchip TC4422 FET drivers

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

I built both of these chips into my SSTC driver so I could compare
them.  Here is what I found:

Both chips are somewhat idiot proof, as they survived being interchanged
into the wrong sockets and powered up behind an 18V regulator.  Dohhh!

1.  UC2710-  big plus, thermal shutdown.  Minus points for wasting
output swing. Chip has a Vdd max of 18V, which means if you are going
thru a gate transformer it cuts (18V-Vsatplus-Vsatminus) in half at 50%
duty cycle.  You want every millivolt of swing, and you don't get it
with this chip.

2.  TC4422- big plus, 9A peak vs. the UC2710's 6A peak.  Big plus, its
CMOS and swings rail to rail.  I'm getting about 0.5V more drive at the
gate of my FETS.  Minus point, 18V max.  I'd like to see a couple more
volts of output swing.  Another minus point, no thermal protection.
But, because it swings rail to rail, it runs cooler as no power is
wasted in saturation, so that is a plus.

Overall, it seems the TC4422 has the edge, and its $5.00 cheaper at
Digikey.

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project