Re: PVC secondaries

Original poster: "Dale Nassar by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dnassar-at-i-55-dot-com>

Greg,
PVC is such a popular coil form because it is cheap and easy to
find.  Otherwise it is not a good Tesla secondary due the the high RF
losses of PVC at these frequencies--also it holds water.  So by coating it
with polyurethane you get a water tight low Rf form.  Yes, you should coat
the form with an OIL-BASED poly.  Be sure you make sure the PVC is clean
and dry first. Then wind the coil.  A poly or acrylic (plexiglass)
secondary would be better but they are VERY expensive and harder to
get/find.  I like to use thin-walled PVC, dried and coated before AND after
winding--you want the coil embedded in the low-loss polyurethane.  I live
in a hot climate and leave the pipe in the hot sun all day before coating.
--dale nassar