Re: 811a coil/ bad diode?

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hi group,
>
> I think that i may have come across my problem with my small VTTC that ive
> been working at for awhile.  I decided to check out all of my components
> today and found that my diode is not testing good.  It reads open circuit in
> both directions.  Is this a sign of a bad diode?  I know that it would
> usually be, but are microwave diodes different?  Another diode (suspected
> bad as well) i have reads 4kohm im both directions.  I think i may have
> blown the diode when someone on this board told me that the schematic was
> incorrect.  I followed his directions, and blew a 15A fuse, and was probably
> quite close to blowing my tube! im sure that amount of power could destroy
> that little diode.  So i followed the original plans and the coil works OK
> giving about 3" sparks at most, with unopredictable performace from time to
> time. Ive been running the coil for a few days with out realising my diose
> may be bad.  This makes me suspect the diode.  So do i need a diode?  or can
> i bypass it?  a new diode isnt much of a problem but i want to know it i
> even need it, and if i dont what other modifications do i need to make?
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Ward.

If these are anything like very high voltage diodes (45kV) I've worked
with before, they may have 10V to 100V of drop across them, due to
having a number of diodes in series.  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com