sync motors - update

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

I just tested the sync motor conversion with a modified strobe light setup,
running exactly in sync with the AC line, and it appears that the motor is
slightly slower than 3600 RPM.  It was rated at 3400 RPM, and appeared to be
running at 3600 as far as I could tell, until I used the strobe.  The mark on
the shaft that I made turns backwards from the normal direction of spin at
about 1, or a little less, RPM.  I tried best I could to put a load on the
motor (just the shaft sticking out), and it didn't seem to change at all.
Anyone have any ideas what's going on?  Do I need to make the flats in the
armature bigger?  I noticed in the "plans" at
<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip>http://hot-streamer.co
m/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip, it says 1750 or 3450 RPM, my motor was 3400
RPM -
does this make a difference?  It is an induction motor - nothing on the
armature, and two field windings, with 2 starting coils.  Should the sstarting
be disconnected? (I haven't yet).  Thanks!

Sean Taylor
The Geek Group
G-1 #1204
<http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org>www.thegeekgroup-dot-org