Re: OBIT Ratings

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Hey cory,
I think you are thinking the same thing I was when I found out what OBIT
meant.  By oil - burner, they don't mean the 1950's car that pours out blue
smoke, :-) they mean the oil-burning furnaces. Yes, car coils are 12V in (I'm
not sure about the 80 volt out)...  But the furnace transformers are generally
120V in, 10,000 V out -at- 23mA.  A very good beginners transformer.

With one of these coils: play around for awhile... I first built just a little
gap to see the arc, and to just see how far 10kV will jump (adjustit with the
power off of coarse).. Then maybe build a Jaccob's Ladder... then maybe try
putting different salts and stuff on the rails.. just do what ever and be
careful... A little tip: always adjust gaps, coils... with the plug in your
hand, so you KNOW the power is off....

Good luck,
Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon