Re: toroid question

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Allanh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<allanh-at-starband-dot-net>

> It has occured to me that using a toroid with no conducting material in the
> center in effect places a
> shorted turn in the magnetic field and would cause
> very high current to flow.

This would happen with a terminal of any shape.

> Upon testing my theory on
> my coil, I found very little difference in the two types.
> I would like to know why the shorted turn toroid doesn't
> consume great quantities of power.
>
> any ideas?

The resistance in series with the "shorted turn" is very low, and so
very little energy is dissipated. Other consideration is that the
coupling between the secondary and this "extra coil" is small.
It just causes a small change in the secondary inductance.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz