Re-configuring X-Ray Transformers

Original poster: "Jack King by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <speakernut-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Greetings,

Being the proud recipient of a few large x-ray trannys
and controllers, I am desirous of converting them
downward in output voltage for practical use. I've
read threads of re-winding and so on, but nothin to do
with what I propose specifically...Any of you tried
this?

Anyway, I'm figgerin' on hoisting "Bertha" (125 KV -at-
appx 500 ma) out of her oil bathtub, removing the
diodes, hv relays and other "unneccessary" wares.
Next, I plan to REMOVE somewhere around 60% of each
side of her secondary, lift the midpoint connection,
then paralell the two secondary windings, in phase.

I'm shootin for somethin between 15-25 KV -at- about an
amp output with about 30% duty cycle. At least one of
them will be used as a bombarding transformer for my
neon plant.

As for the control cabinet: well I'm thinking of
reworking that too, Keeping the large autotransformer,
and then ADDING a second autotrans, modified as a
series reactor...The autotransformers look to be made
of decent core material and are an easilly accessible
square core design (thank you Shimada), Question: on
this second inductor, do I want to "break" the core?
or
not?....I suppose it all depends on the "L" value of
the inductors and a few other formulas I should review
in the ARRL handbook.

Assistance and COmments Please:

THANK YOU

Jack King