Re: Open frame motor with 6 wires?

This might be a PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) motor.  There are two
windings, one is the main winding and is fairly low DC resistance.  The
other is an auxiliary winding, typically around 10x the DC resistance,
which is fed through a (run) capacitor.  They are used in blowers, medical
equipment,etc. where you need a quiet motor with good speed range, and a
shaded pole won't hack it. The torque output is very smooth, it has some
starting torque, and it doesn't have a discontinuity in operation when the
speed switch operates (as in a capacitor start motor).

I used to have a bunch of these, and they brought multiple wires out to
simplify wiring in the equipment (i.e. it's cheaper to have the motor
manufacturer bring out another wire, rather than adding a terminal or wire
nut in the equipment.

Often, the auxiliary winding and main winding share a lead.  If they don't,
the motor is easily reversible (by reversing the aux winding relative to
the primary one.

It might also be a dual speed motor (I've seen these in fans), where there
is a 4 pole and a 6 pole winding (4pole = 1725 RPM, 6 pole =1150 RPM), also
as a PSC or cap start.  Washing machine motors sometimes do this.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Kidwell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>