Re: Grounding Problem???

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi John, Scot, All

	I have tried loosening the coupling quite a bit.  To get rid of the
racing sparks the coupling must be around 0.08.  Spark length is pitiful
in that case.  I have tuned the coil as well as I can.  The tuning point
is about 1.5 turns in from the calculated point.  Moving the tap just
decreases spark length.  I am running a 6 inch coil using two of those
GE copier xfmrs for a supply.  I'm using a 0.1 uF cap, for a bang size
of approx. 5 joules.  My specs are in the "Help! suicidal secondary"
thread, except that I'm now using a smaller toroid of 6" by 22".  I
tried a 0.066 uF cap, but racing sparks remain.  Spark length goes in
the toilet too.  On a good humid night, I can get a few 6 ft. strikes to
the ground.  Dry nights give short streamers, and long racing sparks
:-(.  I can't believe that I could be overpowering an epoxy coated 6 by
28 inch secondary with 1600 VA.  I wish I had pictures of the secondary
for everyone to see, 'cause it looks ridiculous with those insulating
washers on it!   Maybe I should give up and build a new system.  Any
suggestions?  BTW, I did all the math for this coil (more than I needed
to, actually), and everything looked fine.

Thanks