Re: NST Fix

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rblaisdell-at-juno-dot-com>

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:10:47 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
> Hi,
>
> Personally I used a piece of plywood in place of the PVC because
> some time the transfo could get really hot. I put the wood in
> oven at 250 F for 2 hours and cook it in oil for half an hours to
> get the humidity put. Not sure but I think pig used wood too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luc Benard

Yes, but with the thing immersed in soybean oil, which by the way is very
good insulator some capacitor company already has patented the use of it
in there capacitors, the heat is negligible.

Also the wood is likely to conduct at 15kv and create carbon tracks in it
that conduct even better.

Though you are right in saying that pvc does melt at a low temperature,
though no problems for me yet.
Polystyrene would be a bit better I just happen to have alot of 1/4 exp.
pvc available to me, polystyrene, plexiglass(or equiv),lexan(or equiv)
comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses at your local plastic supply
place and would all work well, that is if you live in a big enough town
to have a local plastic supplier.

Peace,

Ry Blaisdell