Re: help limiting mots

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: help limiting mots
>Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:13:27 -0700
>
>Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
>
>hi there,
>             i have two mots and want to use them as a power supply but the
>only
>problem i have is the limiting of the current. could i get the current down
>a very small amount 500mA poss 1 amp and what would i expect to draw from
>the
>240 v supply the mots are 240 v input about 2600v output industrial mots
>
>i only have a 2.2" by 12" tesla coil the secondary is wound with .2 mm wire
>36
>awg
>would this melt it?
>
>i currently run the coil with a 6kV 25mA nst with about 6-7" streamers but
>hope to improve with power factor corection and a rotary spark gap
All microwave transformers (MOT's) are already current limited dispite
popular myth. They must be wound with #27, not #36 for the secondary!!

Industrial MOT's should run just fine off of your 240VAC line with no
problems. I have been able to series 2 "1300 watt" MOT's for 4000 volts with
no problem off of a 120V 15A line. But be careful how far you will draw the
arc----because the length of the arc is corrisponding to the power
draw...draw the arc to long and "!!!POW!!!" you'll flip your breaker. I was
able to draw 12" arc at 4000 volts just before the breaker blew....I suspect
you would be able to get 50% more length again!!

Oh...I have been able to get 6' to 7' sparks from a friends 4000 volt MOT
supplied TC!! The sparks are wild and pack a punch! But its hard to get the
TC gap firing because of the lower voltages..it takes a few mintues to
adjust the gap correctly...but at least it works.

Have you ever tried overvolting your smaller 120VAC MOT's??? Its a great way
to get HUGE voltages and solid current output, but this has to be done under
oil. It works on most larger sized MOT's....try it and find out.
I have been able to get well past 15,000 volts at short curcuit of 400mA
with 4 (120V) MOT's running 240VAC input. It draws around 7-8 kW and puts
out HUGE LONG flaming arcs. It truely is a cheap POLE PIG! I have never
tried hooking it up to a TC yet, but I would speculate 12' arcs are
possiable!

JW