Re: Glassmike caps

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Ry, Mark All

Richard Hull used these "Glassmike" caps early on work... several issues:

1.  They are filtering caps, not resonant or pulse discharge rated.  I believe
     the dielectric media is mylar.
2.  They are immersed in oil, when the mylar heats (trust me it will), the oil
     pressure will increase in the glass housing until it bursts, usually under
     power (that Murphy guy keeps visiting).  This can escalate into a very
     ugly situation fast (let's see, oil vapors, sparks, flying glass --
KABOOM).
3.  Their values shifted significantly during use, similar to a doorknob barium
      titanate (sp) ceramic HV cap.

Personally, I wouldn't use them except on the smallest NST powered table
top coil, and then only with _signifcant_ voltage overrating on caps (3-4X
Vpk input) and with caps in a PVC pipe to contain shrapnel.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA USA

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Stolz, Mark by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Mark.Stolz-at-st-systems-dot-com>