Re: L/C ratio & radio amateur's handbook

Berj N. Ensanian wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I noticed the thread message below, wherein Ed mentions the first edition of
> the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook. I've been very interested in obtaining an
> estimate for how many of the original 5000 print-run of that book are still
> in existence. Any ideas?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Berj / KI3U

	Answer is probably several dozen at least.  I have had two or three,
and at present have one of the editor's (Ed Handy) working copy with
pencilled notation for the second edition.  Got it from Handy's son
several years ago, when he sold off some of his father's books.  As near
as I can tell the 5th edition (1929) is the scarcest of all;  I've been
looking for one for many years.  Have all of the other handbooks (small
size, that is, the later ones are just too big for a reasonable book
shelf), as well as a complete set of QST magazine starting with the
first one in December, 1915.  By the time the first handbook came out
spark was passe and actually illegal, but the early QST's (up to aboujt
1922) had a lot of stuff which would be of interest to today's TC
builders, including stuff on building HV transformers, capacitors, and
rotary spark gaps.  The ads are fascinating too.

Ed