Re: Tesla Coil (RF) radiation range

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

If you really want to find out how far it radiates RF noise, why not get a
battery powered AM radio and tune it such that it picks up the noise(likely a
harmonic since the fund. freq. would be below the range.  have someone take it
and walk away as you are running your coil until they can no longer hear the
interference.  Perhaps someone could even come up with a way to lower the
reception freq(by changing/adding a cap or an inductor or something) to get it
down to the range of the TC fund. freq.
  The range would vary widely from coil to coil.  Also this would depend on
whether one was operationg the coil in no-breakout mode or not.  I think the
range would be considerably farther if running in that mode.
 I think it is more likely that damage to any electronic would be more likely
caused by rf feedback to the mains rather than RF radiated.
Mike