Re: Air core variable cap...

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

Glycerin appears to be totally unsuitable as a capacitor dielectric in a HV
capacitor. It failed utterly in my HV breakdown tester. I do not know if that
was because of possible water content in the sample acquired from a bottle of
the stuff bought at the corner drugstore, or something to do with its basic
chemical structure. It definitely works better than mineral oil as a coffee
sweetener however but I have no data on the toxicity.

Castor oil would be very good in the dipped, 'cheese-slicer' variable capacitor
combo.

Another item that would probably make a great TC tank cap by immersion in
castor oil would be those electrostatic air cleaner modules of alternating air
spaced thin metal plates.  I saw a pile of these, cubes about 2 feet on a side,
at a scrapyard once.

Rob