MOT's replaced by SMPS/inverter

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all.

I was at what we call "microwave land" the other day, which is a
small scrapyard that Aron and I go to to find cool stuff.

I yanked a microwave up by the line cord....I noticed that this one
was particularly lightweight. I was thinking, hmm, this is odd, why
would someone other than me want the transformer out of it? (there
are no other coilers within 30 miles).

And after I busted the case off, I discovered a REALLY NICE inverter
that had replaced the old core-and-coil transformer.

I immediately recognized a couple of BIG IGBT's, a voltage doubler on
the output, and some very nice electronics which probably drive the
IGBT's and provide current limiting and/or other nice stuff.

Know what I think:

SSTC POWER SUPPLY. Yank the multiplier, run the output through a
diode into a small capacitor (!!! high frequency, could replace big
electrolytics -at- 60Hz !!!) and finally use square-wave staccato to get
a quick rise in the RF envelope for long sparks.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com