Re: Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny...

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> The smallest have caught my imagination - I have a potential application
> (I won't say what until *I* have decided if it's a daft idea!) for a
> very small TC - something like a 3/4"x5" secondary with an aluminised
> (tape) table tennis ball as a topload.
> Obviously I don't want to be mucking around with transformers and tank
> caps that are several times larger than my secondary!

Sure, it works. For the "tank cap" a few single FKP/MKP caps in series
will work just fine, maybe 4 or 5 or so. Voltage rating maybe 1250VDC
per piece. It isn't large, although, it IS the size of the
secondary...

http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla/micro/tc-micro.htm

I once scrapped together a small TC like this for kirlian photography
on polaroid films (although a TV flyback or car ignition coil worked
much better for this purpose, really). Didn't do any calculations for
that TC, I just slapped the parts together.

Note that the small coils are _very_ detuning sensitive. T.ex. when
you have everything working nicely with a table tennis ball topload,
and then connect a say 20cm wire to the topload, then it's quite out
of tune already.

cheers,
 - Jan

--